Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Our Trip Together

Hello meine Kekse --


What a lovely weekend we spent together as a family.  You were such a good traveller, taking the sights and sounds and experiences in stride.  Four plane trips in three days.  Two long car trips from the Little Rock airport to Hot Springs Village and back.  Countless strangers cooing over you.


I loved how excited you were when you first met your great grandmother.  Smiling and belly laughing for her in ways we had never before witnessed.  When I spoke to her this morning she remarked that you two have a special connection.  I think she's probably right.  


Your daddy and I loved watching you crawl for the first time in GGMa's apartment.  You didn't go very far, but you did it!  It seems you embraced tummy time and rolling finally while visiting Arkansas.  I couldn't believe my eyes as we watched you roll all over her floor.


I had such fun playing with you on Sunday afternoon in our little rental.  Daddy was sleeping and we sat on the floor in the front room.  You were rollings and pushing yourself along the laminate floor trying to catch your cups as I rolled them along.  It was a simply game, but those are often the best.


It was sad leaving GGMa's on Monday.  I hope we will be able to visit her again.  She's quite elderly now and her body causes her a lot of pain, but her mind is quick witted and her spirit still shines.  She thanked us so many times for bringing you to visit and, while I know it was a very special time for her, it was just as special for me.  For me, it was important to introduce you and your daddy to her.  I've probably only had a handful of visits with her over the years, but she is important.  She holds the story of your Nana's story within her.  She has been around for nearly a century and seen so many changes in our world.  She grew up during simpler times and she has a wisdom about her that I hope to one day command.  I hope you will take more time than I to visit with your grandparents when you are older.  They have stories to tell and experiences to share.


Your daddy said that a piece of the puzzle that is me was filled in for him during this visit.  I'm happy to know that he was moved by our trip and thrilled he feels a little closer to me as a result.


For you, while I don't expect you will remember the trip itself, I hope some part of the experience will leave a lasting impression on your person.  Even if that lasting impression simply encourages you to laugh even when you are hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment